Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bold Exit Strategies. In Honor of Ex-Goldman's Greg Smith (AKA: Bold Mover 2012)

Just when you thought that, what I've now dubbed to be: "Bold Movers" were a species on the verge of extinction, you have the reminder that Greg Smith gave to all of us with his Op Ed piece in the New York Times last week titled, "Why I Quit Goldman Sachs", that they are still very much alive and well.  Congratulations, Greg, for reminding us all that there are, in fact, people in this world that are willing to do the unthinkable:  Burn Bridges with a Vengeance. Obviously, you or I would never actually do these things, opting to not burn bridges unless absolutely necessary.  Generally a good career move.  But lucky for us that there are people like Greg in this world, that we can marvel at their astoundingly bold exit strategies. Makes me think back to my personal favorite exit strategies gone awry, which include the following:

1.  Jet Blue Guy (AKA: Bold Mover 2010).  Sliding his way to freedom down the emergency exit slide of a JetBlue Aircraft at JFK in 2010.  Beer in hand. Went "JetBlue".
2.  Jerry McGuire: "I'm not going to do what everyone thinks I'm going to do...and FLIP OUT"
3.  That guy in London who mistakenly thought he won the lottery and threw the ticket in his boss's face and ran out the door.  Lucky for him that they took him back after he discovered he was holding a fake lotto ticket.

Remind yourselves of some amazing exit strategies with the following clips. Just be sure to confirm that you've actually won the lottery before trying this at home.

Steven Slater. Coined the Phrase: "Going JetBlue"

Jerry McGuire: "Who's coming with me?  I'll take the fish."




No comments:

Post a Comment