Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Modern Day Trail of Breadcrumbs.


Gummy Bears.  Line streets of Manhattan.
Gummy Bears?  The first morning I noticed a trail of Gummy Bears lining the sidewalks on my walk to the subway I wrote it off as a one-off occurrence, a random event.  The second morning I saw this Gummy Bear trail on 9th near 3rd Ave., I started to scratch my head.  What am I looking at?  Then dismissed as a possible coincidence.  However, today, the third day this Gummy Bear trail has appeared lining the sidewalks, I'm starting to sense a new trend hitting the streets of Manhattan (no pun intended). 

Gummy bear trails can officially no longer be dismissed as random events, outliers, one off occurrences.  No, my new theory is that they are now being utilized as some sort of modern day trail of breadcrumbs.  Bringing back old school, before the time of iPhone GPS systems and even maps, Hansel and Gretel style.

Illustration by Arthur Rackham, 1908.
Pretty old school.


So, let's follow suit and toss out our fancy iPhone GPS systems, google maps and the like, in favor of the trending #gummybeartrails.  And leave your own confectionery trail of goodies to guide your way back home.  Just be sure not to eat too many along the way...

Bears also line windows of Rodgersmith Hotel.  Remarkable similarity to gummy bears.  Coincidence?  Doubtful.
Art installation.  Midtown.  Kicked off the trend?


No comments:

Post a Comment